Interesting Thought… This Interesting Thought is going to be a bit different but is important none the less. I recently attended a meeting in Albuquerque at the Concealed Carry Unit to provide input to a curriculum the unit is developing. One of the topics discussed was the required 2-year Refresher class.
Very soon the Concealed Carry Unit is going to start enforcing the guidelines for the Refresher. They indicated that they will be sending reminders (either by mail or email) that you need to do the Refresher. If you don’t do it within the 60-day time limit after the midpoint of your license, they will send you another notice that you have 30 days to do the Refresher or your concealed carry license will be suspended. If you fail to do the Refresher after this second notice your license will be revoked and you will have to start all over again with the initial 15-hour class.
Until then they will not renew your concealed carry license if you have not done your Refresher.
There are two ways you can do the Refresher. First (and this is the one I recommend because you are required to actually shoot and requalify) is to schedule a 2-hour Refresher class with a concealed carry instructor. Upon completion, the instructor will submit an after-action report and a copy of your training certificate to the Concealed Carry Unit and you will have met your obligation. Or you can go online to https://www.dps.nm.gov/images/ConcealCarry/2yr_refresher_2019.pdf and do it online for free. You will have to read the material and send the certificate you print in after passing the test. While this is a good review, particularly of nonviolent dispute resolution, there is no shooting requirement.
It is up to you which option you choose for the Refresher, but you must do it. When you receive your initial or renewed concealed carry license, go to your calendar on your computer or phone and on that day 2 years (2.5 years for veterans with a 5-year license) make an entry to call your instructor and schedule the Refresher class. Or indicate that it’s time to do the online Refresher. Either way works, but you must do that Refresher.
And a final thought…the Concealed Carry Unit is doing you a favor by reminding you about the Refresher. They don’t have to. As they pointed out in the meeting, you don’t get a reminder from DMV to renew your driver’s license, do you? It’s your responsibility to meet the obligations that come with your concealed carry license.
Upcoming Classes and Events…
- October 26…Active Shooter Class at the Sydney Paul Gordon Shooting Range in La Luz. This class will explore options for armed individuals with concealed carry licenses in an active shooter event. We’ll be doing some realistic scenarios that you, as a concealed carrier, might experience during an active shooter event.
- November 2 & 3…Concealed Carry Class in Alamogordo
- Renewal and Refresher classes…Take a moment and check the dates on your license…NOW! It’s amazing how many people are late for their Refresher or Renewal classes. I am doing these on request. If you need your Renewal or Refresher let me know and we’ll schedule your class. I have been doing these classes individually or in small groups for some time now and people seem to like this way of doing the classes.
Active Shooter Class October… Shots Fired… Now, What Do You Do? This is a scenario-based class designed to help prepare you as a concealed carrier for dealing with an active shooter…whether you decide to Run (escape), Hide or Fight. This class is not for beginners. Participants must have a concealed carry license or an equal level of training. Participants will be expected to do the scenarios with their everyday carry gear and from concealment. For more information or to sign up for the class contact me at email@example.com or Coralie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in a Private (or Discrete) Concealed Carry Class?… I have been doing quite a few of these types of classes lately. Contact me if you are interested in a private concealed carry class for you and your family or a few friends or your business. Scheduling is very flexible and we can work out a time that is convenient for you.
Don’t Forget…Regular Monthly Reminders… (I know you get tired of reading this but you do need to be reminded occasionally)…
- Don’t forget your Refresher Class! You need to take a Refresher (re-qualification) course at the midpoint of your New Mexico concealed handgun license and you need to take a Renewal class and apply to NMDPS for your concealed carry license to be renewed after four years (5 years for those with a veteran’s license). Take a look at your license periodically and make sure you take those classes. If you are in need of either the Refresher or Renewal classes, contact me and we can schedule your class.
- To Learn Which Restaurants Sell Beer and Wine Only… You may carry your concealed handgun in a restaurant in New Mexico that is licensed to sell beer and wine only. This is known as a Restaurant License. Go to http://rldverification.rld.state.nm.us/Verification/Search.aspx?facility=Y and do a search. You can enter the name of the restaurant and see what kind of license they have, or you can get a list of all the restaurants with a restaurant license in that particular county. And remember… you cannot consume alcohol while you are carrying your concealed handgun.
Specific Individual or Small Group Firearms Training… A big benefit of an individual or small group training is that it can be tailored to your training needs or interests. Contact me and I’d be happy to visit with you about meeting your training needs for yourself, a group of your friends, or for your business, Any of the classes we offer, from Individual Training Sessions, Concealed Carry, Defensive Handgun, Defensive Carbine and Shotgun classes, as well as Basic Firearms Training, can be done on a personal basis for individuals, businesses or small groups. Scheduling is very flexible.
Tip of the Month… Practice when it’s not perfect. We all enjoy a nice day with good weather at the range, but what are we really learning? Practice in the rain sometimes, when it’s windy, in the snow, when it’s very hot, and when it’s cold. I just finished the Pecos Run and Gun event (a 5.5-mile loop with 8 shooting stops) and it rained on me the first mile. When I got to the first stage I was soaked, my rifle and gear was wet and it was raining so hard I couldn’t see all the targets. Great fun. We had prepared for the heat and what we got was rain and mud. You never know what the weather (and circumstances) will be until you get there. And remember, the defensive use of your handgun will happen in seconds and the weather won’t care if you like it or not.
In Closing… Some good news! Ace Hardware in Alamogordo and Sandman Armory in Ruidoso are now offering an ammunition package to students of Riclin Firearms Training for their initial concealed carry class. It consists of 150 rounds of 9mm ammunition and 50 rounds of .45 auto ammunition and the cost is $55. A great deal on this ammunition! I encourage you to patronize these fine businesses.