October 2013

Interesting Thought… After all the publicity around the George Zimmerman case, one reader posed a question regarding financial resources that might be available in the event that you are involved in a self defense shooting. This is something you need to think about. Here are three resources you might give some thought to. First, you can purchase NRA approved ‘self defense’ insurance from Lockton Risk (http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/defense.htm). Another option is to join the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network (http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org). The third is to join the United States Concealed Carry Association (https://www.usconcealedcarry.com) and purchase their insurance. Take a look at each and see which would best suit your needs.

November Concealed Carry Class… The next concealed carry class will be November 16 & 17.  Completion of this class meets the training requirement for a New Mexico Concealed Handgun License and enables you to apply for that license. If you have any questions, or would like to sign up for the class, contact me at riclin@tularosa.net or by phone at 575.430.3040.

Night Class… I will be teaching a Night Shooting Class on November 8 at the Sidney Paul Gordon Shooting Range in La Luz. This will be an opportunity for you to learn to shoot your defensive handgun in low light as well as at night.This is not a class for beginners…you must be comfortable shooting your handgun. Contact me at riclin@tularosa.net or by phone at 575.430.3040 for more information or to sign up for the class.

After Action Report…Defensive Carbine Class… The Defensive Carbine Class held on September 8 was a lot of fun. Participants did a lot of shooting and learned a variety of close quarters/confined spaces shooting skills utilizing their carbine to enable them to use the carbine as a self defense weapon in a home or urban environment. If you have an AR 15 (or AK 47 or 10/22 or similar carbine) and are interested in learning to use it for self defense contact me at (575) 430-3040 or riclin@tularosa.net. I would be happy to offer this class again if there is interest in it.

3 Gun Primer… Bill Miller will be offering a 3 Gun primer at the Butterfield Trail Shooting Range in Las Cruces on November 10. It will consist of a description of the sport, its divisions, scoring, safety, and examples of firearms and equipment used as well as a sample course of fire with shotgun, rifle and pistol sections with various commonly used targets. Participants will be able to shoot the stage with their guns or try out some example guns to get a “feel” for the sport. For more information contact Bill at bigb45colt@yahoo.com.

Reciprocity… Several additional states have accepted the NM Concealed Carry License in the last few months. The following states now accept your NM license…AK, AL, AR, AZ, CO, FL, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NV, OH, OK, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, WY. For more information go to http://www.handgunlaw.us.

Don’t Forget… You need to take a Refresher (re-qualification) course two years after you receive your New Mexico concealed handgun license and you need to take a Renewal class and apply to NMDPS for your concealed carry license to be renewed after four years. Take a look at your license periodically and make sure you take those classes. If you are in need of either the Refresher or Renewal classes, contact me and we can schedule your class.

Interested in Personal Firearms Training? If you are interested in personal, individualized firearms training contact me at riclin@tularosa.net or by phone at 575.430.3040 and I’d be happy to visit with you about meeting your training needs. Any of the classes Riclin offers, from Individual Training Sessions, Concealed Carry, Advanced Defensive Handgun, Defensive Carbine and Shotgun classes, as well as Basic Firearms Training, can be done on a personal training basis for individuals or small groups. Scheduling is very flexible.

To Learn Which Restaurants Sell Beer and Wine Only… You may carry your concealed handgun in a restaurant in New Mexico that is licensed to sell beer and wine only. This is known as a Restaurant License. Go to http://rldverification.rld.state.nm.us/Verification/Search.aspx?facility=Y and do a search. You can enter the name of the restaurant and see what kind of license they have, or you can get a list of all the restaurants with a restaurant license in that particular county. And remember… you cannot consume alcohol while you are carrying your concealed handgun.

Tip of the Month… Practice malfunction drills while you are moving. If your handgun malfunctions in a self defense situation, you should not be standing still…you should be moving and clearing the malfunction. Don’t wait for it to happen…practice!

In closing… Fall is here, the weather is nice and ammunition is becoming more available. Time to head to the range. I’ll see you there!

Richard Barbaras

Leave a Reply