Interesting Thought… One of the lessons from the recent shooting at the Anza Day Spa in Florida is something everyone needs to think about…the fact that it can happen anywhere at any time. As the link below points out, there is no ‘safe’ space. And because of that, you need to be always prepared to respond to a life-threatening situation.
Gil Ellifritz of Active Response Training has posted a very interesting article about the lessons learned and some thoughts on what you should be doing. I encourage you to read this article and give it some serious thought… http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/the-azana-day-spa-shooting
Upcoming Classes and Events…
- December 1 & 2…Gun Show in Alamogordo…I’ll have a table…stop by for a visit, or to sign up for a class
- December 8 & 9…Concealed Carry Class in Alamogordo
- January 12 & 13, 2019…Concealed Carry Class in Alamogordo
- Renewal and Refresher classes…Take a moment and check the dates on your license…NOW! It’s amazing how many people are late for their Refresher or Renewal classes. I am doing these on request. If you need your Renewal or Refresher let me know and we’ll schedule your class. I have been doing these classes individually or in small groups for some time now and people seem to like this way of doing the classes.
A Practical Defensive Shooting Class… We are developing a Practical Defensive Shooting Class which is based on realistic life-threatening scenarios that you might find yourself in. We’ll start with some basic defensive skills development and then move into scenarios based on real life-threatening encounters that have been recorded on surveillance cameras. The vast majority of those situations were over in brief seconds with few, not many, shots being fired. The development of this class has been interesting and we have learned a lot during the process. We anticipate offering this class in early 2019. Let me know if you would be interested in taking this class.
A Purely Commercial Comment… Christmas is coming and what better gift than the gift of training to help prepare a friend or loved one be safe? Gift certificates are available for any of our training classes. Just contact me by email or I’ll be at the Alamogordo Evening Lions Gun Show at the Fairgrounds on December 1 & 2. Stop by and visit and consider picking up a gift certificate.
Regular Monthly Reminders… (I know you get tired of reading this but you do need to be reminded occasionally)…
- Don’t forget your Refresher Class! You need to take a Refresher (re-qualification) course two years after you receive your New Mexico concealed handgun license and you need to take a Renewal class and apply to NMDPS for your concealed carry license to be renewed after four years (5 years for those with a veteran’s concealed handgun license). Take a look at your license periodically and make sure you take those classes. If you are in need of either the Refresher or Renewal classes, contact me and we can schedule your class.
- To Learn Which Restaurants Sell Beer and Wine Only… You may carry your concealed handgun in a restaurant in New Mexico that is licensed to sell beer and wine only. This is known as a Restaurant License. Go to http://rldverification.rld.state.nm.us/Verification/Search.aspx?facility=Y and do a search. You can enter the name of the restaurant and see what kind of license they have, or you can get a list of all the restaurants with a restaurant license in that particular county. And remember… you cannot consume alcohol while you are carrying your concealed handgun.
Interested in a Private (or Discrete) Concealed Carry Class?… I have been doing quite a few of this type classes lately. Contact me if you are interested in a private concealed carry class for you and your family or a few friends or your business. Scheduling is very flexible and we can work out a time that is convenient for you.
Specific Individual or Small Group Firearms Training… A big benefit of an individual or small group training is that it can be tailored to your training needs or interests. Contact me and I’d be happy to visit with you about meeting your training needs for yourself, a group of your friends, or for your business, Any of the classes we offer, from Individual Training Sessions, Concealed Carry, Defensive Handgun, Defensive Carbine and Shotgun classes, as well as Basic Firearms Training, can be done on a personal basis for individuals, businesses or small groups. Scheduling is very flexible.
Tip of the Month… The holiday season is upon us. Now is the time to be extra aware of your surroundings. You are probably going to be in places with lots of people at times. And you may be carrying money or other valuables. Be cautious, especially if approached by strangers. Always have a means to defend yourself and the loved ones with you. Remember, your safety is your responsibility.
In Closing… Thanksgiving is upon us. As you celebrate, take a moment and reflect on all the things you have to be thankful for. And be safe while you celebrate!