Interesting Thought… In looking at recent shooting events that have made the national news, and setting aside the current knee-jerk gun control rhetoric, one thing seems pretty obvious. In any kind of active shooter event, you are basically on your own. Yes, law enforcement will respond, but that response generally takes time. What are you going to do between the time the shooting starts and law enforcement gets there? Are you going to try to escape, try to hide or are you going to fight back? Each situation is different and circumstances will dictate to a certain extent your response, but you should always be thinking ahead, especially if you are in a place with lots of people. What are you going to do when the shooting starts? Where is the shooter? Can you escape? What about others with you? Should you (are you able to) provide first aid to any victims? Something to think about.
Upcoming Classes and Events…
- March 9 & 10…Hunter Education Class in Tularosa (see NM Game and Fish website for details)
- March 17 & 18…Concealed Carry Class in Alamogordo
- April 15 & 15…Concealed Carry Class in Alamogordo
- Renewal and Refresher classes…Take a moment and check the dates on your license…NOW! It’s amazing how many people are late for their Refresher or Renewal classes. I am doing these on request. If you need your Renewal or Refresher let me know and we’ll schedule your class. I have been doing these classes individually or in small groups for some time now and people seem to like this way of doing the classes.
Run and Gun Events… As many of you know I enjoy participating in Run and Gun events and have had the opportunity to train several folks to do so. It is an interesting and challenging sport that will really develop your fitness and practical marksmanship skills. If you are interested in participating in a Run and Gun event, here is an excellent article on preparing for your first one.
I’d be happy to discuss my experiences with you and help you train for a run and gun event if you are interested. There will be an excellent Run and Gun event in Pecos, TX in mid-September that is a good place to start for your first one.
Interested in a Private Concealed Carry Class?… These are becoming very popular. Contact me if you are interested in a private concealed carry class for you and your family or a few friends or your business. Scheduling is very flexible and we can work out a time that is convenient for you.
Individual or Small Group Firearms Training… If you are interested in personalized firearms training tailored to your training needs or interests, or with a group of your friends, or for your business, contact me and I’d be happy to visit with you about meeting your training needs. Any of the classes we offer, from Individual Training Sessions, Concealed Carry, Defensive Handgun, Defensive Carbine and Shotgun classes, as well as Basic Firearms Training, can be done on a personal basis for individuals, businesses or small groups. Scheduling is very flexible.
Regular Monthly Announcements (Reminders)… (I know you get tired of reading this but you do need to be reminded occasionally…
- To Learn Which Restaurants Sell Beer and Wine Only… You may carry your concealed handgun in a restaurant in New Mexico that is licensed to sell beer and wine only. This is known as a Restaurant License. Go to http://rldverification.rld.state.nm.us/Verification/Search.aspx?facility=Y and do a search. You can enter the name of the restaurant and see what kind of license they have, or you can get a list of all the restaurants with a restaurant license in that particular county. And remember… you cannot consume alcohol while you are carrying your concealed handgun.
- You need to take a Refresher (re-qualification) course two years after you receive your New Mexico concealed handgun license and you need to take a Renewal class and apply to NMDPS for your concealed carry license to be renewed after four years. Take a look at your license periodically and make sure you take those classes. If you are in need of either the Refresher or Renewal classes, contact me and we can schedule your class.
Tip of the Month… Do you carry your handgun while driving in your vehicle? If so, have you practiced drawing (presenting) your handgun from the driver’s seat (if you haven’t you should)? You can practice in the privacy of your driveway. Make sure the gun is unloaded…and then check again to make sure. Then practice drawing your handgun. Practice with and without your seat belt as well as unbuckling your seat belt as part of your draw. Practice exiting the vehicle with your handgun. Each vehicle will likely require a slightly different technique. So, work with your vehicle and how you carry until you find the combination that works for you. Take your time as you do this… there is no need to hurry while you are figuring this out. It just might come in handy someday.
In Closing… As current events are proving, it is an unsafe world out there. Be extra aware of your environment and always be thinking ‘What am I going to do if…” Have a plan. Be safe.