Interesting Thought… Lots of food for thought in this statement from John Conner in the March/April 2016 issue of American Handgunner (all you have to do is read the news to realize it is a dangerous world out there…and getting more so)…’Please, never step out your door, no matter where you live – not to the backyard, the barn, the mailbox or your Maserati – without a gun, a light, a knife and an attitude. Never drive without considering dangers greater that the usual morons, drunks, dopers, and texters. Returning home, remember, evil may await. The new national sport seems to be The Anger Games. You may not want to play, but you might have no choice. And I want you to WIN.’
Upcoming Classes and Events…
- Active Shooter/Terrorist Response Class…March 19 in Las Cruces
- April 9 & 10…Concealed Carry Class in Alamogordo
- Renewal and Refresher classes…I am doing these on request. If you need your Renewal or Refresher let me know and we’ll schedule your class. I have been doing these classes individually or in small groups for some time now and people seem to like this way of doing the classes.
- Classes on Request…If you are interested in a particular class that isn’t currently on our calendar or have a group of friends you would like to take a class with, let me know and we’ll make it happen.
Active Shooter/Terrorist Response Class Report… Our Active Shooter/Terrorist Response class in Las Cruces on November 21 was interesting and exciting. This scenario based class presented six scenarios relevant to an active shooter or terrorist attack. The students were given general guidelines for each scenario but had the opportunity to respond as they thought best, as long as they accomplished the end result (and did it safely). The class featured daylight and night time scenarios and included a ‘battlefield pick up’ of an AK47 scenario. Very interesting. Everyone said they enjoyed the class and really learned a lot. Due to popular demand, we’ll be offering this class again on March 19. It will be somewhat different as we strive to improve the class and make it more relevant to what is currently happening.
Want a Private Concealed Carry Class?… Contact me if you are interested in a private concealed carry class for you and your family or a few friends. Scheduling is very flexible and we can work out a time that is convenient for you.
Carbine/Rifle Classes… I have been doing some defensive carbine/carbine familiarization classes for small groups of individuals who want to learn more about the AR15 or AK47. Contact me if you are interested.
Personalized Firearms Training… If you are interested in personalized firearms training tailored to your training needs or interests or those of you and a group of your friends, or for your business, contact me and I’d be happy to visit with you about meeting your training needs.
We’ll begin by consulting with you to determine what your training needs are or what you would like to accomplish. Together we’ll decide how to best meet those needs.
Any of the classes Riclin offers, from Individual Training Sessions, Concealed Carry, Defensive Handgun, Defensive Carbine and Shotgun classes, as well as Basic Firearms Training, can be done on a personal training basis for individuals, businesses or small groups. Classes can be tailored to meet your specific needs. Scheduling is very flexible.
Veterans… The training requirement for a concealed carry license for active duty military and veterans who have been out of the military for less than 20 years has been waived. However, they are still responsible for knowing the law. We have developed a class to assist veterans in learning the legal side of concealed carry (for example when the use of deadly force is appropriate and legal and where they may and may not carry their concealed handgun) and to assist them in applying for their concealed carry license. If you are a veteran who qualifies or know a veteran who does, have them contact me if they are interested. I’d be happy to assist them.
Regular Monthly Announcements (Reminders)… (I know you get tired of reading this but you do need to be reminded occasionally)
- You need to take a Refresher (re-qualification) course two years after you receive your New Mexico concealed handgun license and you need to take a Renewal class and apply to NMDPS for your concealed carry license to be renewed after four years. Take a look at your license periodically and make sure you take those classes. If you are in need of either the Refresher or Renewal classes, contact me and we can schedule your class.
- To Learn Which Restaurants Sell Beer and Wine Only… You may carry your concealed handgun in a restaurant in New Mexico that is licensed to sell beer and wine only. This is known as a Restaurant License. Go to http://rldverification.rld.state.nm.us/Verification/Search.aspx?facility=Y and do a search. You can enter the name of the restaurant and see what kind of license they have, or you can get a list of all the restaurants with a restaurant license in that particular county. And remember… you cannot consume alcohol while you are carrying your concealed handgun.
Tip of the Month… When was the last time you shot while flat on your back? Yet in a violent confrontation, you might find yourself on the ground with no way to get up. You need to practice drawing and firing your handgun while on your back and on each side. Start by practicing with an UNLOADED handgun. You can do this in the privacy of your home. Once you are comfortable with drawing your handgun from various positions on the ground go to the range and do some shooting. Caution…this is unfamiliar to many folks so be mindful of the safety rules as you do this and be cautious.
In Closing… Things have been very hectic since the beginning of the year which is why this newsletter has been delayed several times. The demand for firearms training has been phenomenal. Thank you for your continued patience and support. I look forward to seeing you at the range.