Interesting Thought… The nightclub shooting in Orlando a couple of weeks ago should be a wake-up call for everyone. For anyone watching what is going on in the world, this should be no surprise. And I think it will happen again. And again. While the probability of you being involved in a terrorist attack like that is really pretty small, there is always the possibility that you will be. And when it does happen, the probability hits 100%. Just ask those folks in Orlando…or at the Istanbul airport. In the last several years it seems like the world has become a more dangerous place. So…what are you doing to prepare yourself for surviving such an event? Do you have a plan? Are you going to try to escape or are you going to attempt to deal with the shooter/terrorist? Are your shooting skills adequate to hit a person size target at a distance while you are under a great deal of stress? Some things to think about…
Upcoming Classes and Events…
- July 9 & 10…Concealed Carry Class in Alamogordo
- October 29…Active Shooter/Terrorist Response Class in Las Cruces
- Renewal and Refresher classes…I am doing these on request. If you need your Renewal or Refresher let me know and we’ll schedule your class. I have been doing these classes individually or in small groups for some time now and people seem to like this way of doing the classes.
- Classes on Request…If you are interested in a particular class that isn’t currently on our calendar or have a group of friends you would like to take a class with, let me know and we’ll make it happen.
Interested in an Active Shooter/Terrorist Response Class in Alamogordo? As a result of the shooting in Orlando Florida a couple of weeks ago several people have asked if we are going to be doing an Active Shooter/Terrorist Response class in Alamogordo in the near future. If you are interested in taking this class this summer (it will be an all day Saturday class) please let me know. If there is enough interest we will schedule a class.
Active Shooter/Terrorist Response Class in Las Cruces… We had to postpone this class last spring but have rescheduled it for October 29. It will be an interesting class and will give you some skills and tactics for dealing with the active shooter or the homegrown terrorist if you should ever find yourself in that situation. It includes a night time scenario after dark. Most of us will never have to deal with an active shooter or a homegrown terrorist but it never hurts to be prepared. Tough times are coming (just watch the news) and we look forward to seeing you in this class.
Want a Private Concealed Carry Class?… Contact me if you are interested in a private concealed carry class for you and your family or a few friends. Scheduling is very flexible and we can work out a time that is convenient for you.
Carbine/Rifle Classes… I have been doing some defensive carbine/carbine familiarization classes for small groups of individuals who want to learn more about using the AR15 or AK47 for defensive and sporting purposes. Contact me if you are interested.
Personalized Firearms Training… If you are interested in personalized firearms training tailored to your training needs or interests or those of you and a group of your friends, or for your business, contact me and I’d be happy to visit with you about meeting your training needs.
We’ll begin by consulting with you to determine what your training needs are or what you would like to accomplish. Together we’ll decide how to best meet those needs.
Any of the classes Riclin offers, from Individual Training Sessions, Concealed Carry, Defensive Handgun, Defensive Carbine and Shotgun classes, as well as Basic Firearms Training, can be done on a personal training basis for individuals, businesses or small groups. Classes can be tailored to meet your specific needs. Scheduling is very flexible.
Veterans… I am now offering two classes for active duty military personnel or veterans who have been out of the military for less than 20 years. One covers the legal aspects of concealed carry in New Mexico and what you need to know to be legal. The second class is an introduction to defensive handgun shooting for those with limited defensive handgun training/shooting experience.
Regular Monthly Announcements (Reminders)… (I know you get tired of reading this but you do need to be reminded occasionally)
- You need to take a Refresher (re-qualification) course two years after you receive your New Mexico concealed handgun license and you need to take a Renewal class and apply to NMDPS for your concealed carry license to be renewed after four years. Take a look at your license periodically and make sure you take those classes. If you are in need of either the Refresher or Renewal classes, contact me and we can schedule your class.
- To Learn Which Restaurants Sell Beer and Wine Only… You may carry your concealed handgun in a restaurant in New Mexico that is licensed to sell beer and wine only. This is known as a Restaurant License. Go to http://rldverification.rld.state.nm.us/Verification/Search.aspx?facility=Y and do a search. You can enter the name of the restaurant and see what kind of license they have, or you can get a list of all the restaurants with a restaurant license in that particular county. And remember… you cannot consume alcohol while you are carrying your concealed handgun.
An Interesting Opportunity to Win a Firearm (or two) and Help a Local Charity…Don’t miss your opportunity to be a part of southern New Mexico’s Largest Firearms Raffle Ever! Over 100 firearms given away, one every Tuesday and Thursday throughout 2017! All proceeds will benefit the United Way of Otero County and the work they do in our community to support our neighbors, children, seniors, and families. In partnership with Burt Broadcasting Inc. and Western True Value, tickets can be purchased at the UWOC office at 1601 E. 10th St. or Western True Value at 412 9th St. in Alamogordo or The Olive Branch in Ruidoso at 2501 Sudderth Dr. With more than $50,000 worth of firearms up for grabs you do not want to miss out. The number of tickets/calendars is limited and once they are gone they’re gone! Stop by any of the above locations and get your ticket/calendar Today! For a list of all the firearms being raffled and the complete rules, visit the UWOC website at www.uwoterocounty.org or call their office at 575-437-8400.
Tip of the Month… Get to the range and practice! You would be surprised how many students for the Refresher or Renewal classes tell me that they haven’t shot since they saw me two years earlier. And it becomes obvious when they start shooting. Do the drills you did in your concealed carry class. Practice moving to cover and shooting from cover. Practice malfunction drills. Get out there and practice, practice, practice!
In Closing… As a reminder, your concealed weapon isn’t going to do you any good if you don’t have it on you when you need it. As you finish reading this newsletter, where is your concealed handgun? If it isn’t on your person (or close by), you might want to reconsider. Another food for thought.