Welcome to 2020! I look forward to training/shooting with you all this year. Please let me know if there is some particular training you would like me to offer.
Interesting Thought… Have you fallen into the concealed carry trap described in this article? Take a moment to read this article that I found on Facebook. There is a lot of truth to it. And then look at your current situation and level of training. Could you survive a self-defense or deadly force encounter in the real world? Do you need more training? If so, we’d be happy to help.
Specific Individual or Small Group Firearms Training… A big benefit of an individual or small group training is that it can be tailored to your training needs or interests. Think about this after reading the article above. Contact me and I’d be happy to visit with you about meeting your training needs for yourself, a group of your friends, or for your business, Any of the classes we offer, from Individual Training Sessions, Concealed Carry, Defensive Handgun, Defensive Carbine and Shotgun classes, as well as Basic Firearms Training, can be done on a personal basis for individuals, businesses or small groups. Scheduling is very flexible.
Something New… I am experimenting with teaching concealed carry classes to couples, in other words, two people living together. The biggest benefit of this is that we can schedule the class to meet their needs. So far, doing the academic part of the class during 2 or 3 evenings during the week, in their living room, seems to be the preferred way for this part of the class. As a recent couple mentioned, taking a break in the middle of the academic session gave them a chance to better assimilate the information in the first half of the class. And we are able to discuss their particular needs privately as opposed to in front of a larger class.
The shooting session retains the same strong drills we have been doing but drills specific to their needs can also be included.
I’m excited about this experiment and the couples I’ve worked with seem to be as well. If you would be interested in this sort of concealed carry class please let me know. I’d be happy to discuss with you ways we can accommodate you and your specific needs.
Upcoming Classes and Events…
- Although I’m taking a short break from the initial regular concealed carry classes, I am doing the initial class on request for small groups of people (3 – 5). Scheduling is very flexible. Let me know if you are interested.
- I am still doing Renewal and Refresher classes on request. Take a moment and check the dates on your license…NOW! It’s amazing how many people are late for their Refresher or Renewal classes. I am doing these on request. If you need your Renewal or Refresher let me know and we’ll schedule your class. I have been doing these classes individually or in small groups for some time now and people seem to like this way of doing the classes.
- I am planning on offering a Defensive Revolver Class in the near future. Most of us have Non-Semi-auto (revolver) on our concealed carry license but most of us rarely, if ever, spend much time with a revolver. It is still a good choice for a defensive, hunting, and recreational firearm…but you need to learn how to use it effectively.
Alamogordo Gun Shows in 2020… Alamogordo Gun Shows at the Otero County Fairgrounds…For tables or info contact Eli at 575-430-8681
Interested in a Private (or Discrete) Concealed Carry Class?… I’m still doing those. Contact me if you are interested in a private concealed carry class for you and your family or a few friends or your business. Scheduling is very flexible and we can work out a time that is convenient for you.
Don’t Forget…Regular Monthly Reminders… (I know you get tired of reading this but you do need to be reminded occasionally)…
- Don’t forget your Refresher Class! You need to take a Refresher (re-qualification) course at the midpoint of your New Mexico concealed handgun license and you need to take a Renewal class and apply to NMDPS for your concealed carry license to be renewed after four years (5 years for those with a veteran’s license). Take a look at your license periodically and make sure you take those classes. If you are in need of either the Refresher or Renewal classes, contact me and we can schedule your class.
- To Learn Which Restaurants Sell Beer and Wine Only… You may carry your concealed handgun in a restaurant in New Mexico that is licensed to sell beer and wine only. This is known as a Restaurant License. Go to http://rldverification.rld.state.nm.us/Verification/Search.aspx?facility=Y and do a search. You can enter the name of the restaurant and see what kind of license they have, or you can get a list of all the restaurants with a restaurant license in that particular county. And remember… you cannot consume alcohol while you are carrying your concealed handgun.
Tip of the Month… Take the 6-second church test. Can you make a headshot in 6 seconds at 12 yards? This is based on what happened at the church in Texas recently where a member of the church security team stopped an active shooter in his church. The test is 1 headshot at 12 yards in 6 seconds, from concealment. It is best done cold…in other words no ‘warm-up’ or ‘practice’ shots. You’ll probably find that the time is easy to make. The difficult part is hitting a target as small as the head. Try it. And practice it.
In Closing… We are looking at some tough anti-gun legislation in the upcoming legislative session in Santa Fe. Join the New Mexico Shooting Sports Association (https://nmssa.org/) and follow them on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/NewMexicoShootingSportsAssociation/) if you have not already done so and wish to help them fight this legislation. They will keep you up to date on what’s happening in Santa Fe. And don’t forget to contact your legislators and encourage them to oppose this legislation. I’ll send out alerts as the NRA sends them to me.