Happy New Year Everyone!
Interesting Thought for the New Year… You don’t get to pick the day you need your gun. Someone else will pick that day and they will only tell you at the last minute. Tom Givens, of Rangemaster (a premier firearms training facility in Tennessee), made this interesting comment that was picked up on Facebook a month or so ago. Think about the truth of this statement. If I knew I was going to need my gun that day, I’d do everything I could to avoid that situation. Unfortunately, our life-threatening encounters tend to come when we least expect them. Think about that for a moment as you decide whether or not to carry your gun today because it may be a hassle or a little inconvenient. And then carry it! Remember, you probably won’t get to pick the moment.
Upcoming Classes and Events…
- January 12 & 13, 2019…Concealed Carry Class in Alamogordo
- February 9 & 10…Concealed Carry Class in Alamogordo
- February 16 & 17…Gun Show in Alamogordo
- Renewal and Refresher classes…Take a moment and check the dates on your license…NOW! It’s amazing how many people are late for their Refresher or Renewal classes. I am doing these on request. If you need your Renewal or Refresher let me know and we’ll schedule your class. I have been doing these classes individually or in small groups for some time now and people seem to like this way of doing the classes.
Refresher Classes… Don’t forget your mandatory Refresher Class! It needs to be done during the period of 2 months before to 2 months after the midpoint of your concealed carry license. I’ve had a number of students who haven’t done them and it can cause complications when you try to renew your concealed carry license. And it’s required by the law. If you don’t know where you stand, take a look at your license NOW. If you haven’t done your Refresher and need to, let me know and we’ll schedule a class for you.
When you receive your original or renewed concealed carry license, get out your electronic calendar, move ahead 2 years and put a reminder to do your Refresher. It’s also not a bad idea to go forward to the expiration year and make a note to do your Renewal Class as well.
A Practical Defensive Shooting Class… We are continuing work on our Practical Defensive Shooting Class. It will be based on realistic life-threatening scenarios that you might find yourself in. We are studying real life-threatening encounters that have been recorded on surveillance cameras as we develop this class. The vast majority of those situations were over in brief seconds generally with few shots being fired. We are still planning on offering this class in early 2019. Let me know if you would be interested in taking this class.
Interested in a Private (or Discrete) Concealed Carry Class?… I have been doing quite a few of this type classes lately. Contact me if you are interested in a private concealed carry class for you and your family or a few friends or your business. Scheduling is very flexible and we can work out a time that is convenient for you.
Don’t Forget… Regular Monthly Reminders… (I know you get tired of reading this but you do need to be reminded occasionally)…
- Don’t forget your Refresher Class! You need to take a Refresher (re-qualification) course at themid pointof your New Mexico concealed handgun license and you need to take a Renewal class and apply to NMDPS for your concealed carry license to be renewed after four years (5 years for those with a veteran’s concealed handgun license). Take a look at your license periodically and make sure you take those classes. If you are in need of either the Refresher or Renewal classes, contact me and we can schedule your class.
- To Learn Which Restaurants Sell Beer and Wine Only… You may carry your concealed handgun in a restaurant in New Mexico that is licensed to sell beer and wine only. This is known as a Restaurant License. Go to http://rldverification.rld.state.nm.us/Verification/Search.aspx?facility=Y and do a search. You can enter the name of the restaurant and see what kind of license they have, or you can get a list of all the restaurants with a restaurant license in that particular county. And remember… you cannot consume alcohol while you are carrying your concealed handgun.
Specific Individual or Small Group Firearms Training… A big benefit of individual or small group training is that it can be tailored to your training needs or interests. Contact me and I’d be happy to visit with you about meeting your training needs for yourself, a group of your friends, or for your business, Any of the classes we offer, from Individual Training Sessions, Concealed Carry, Defensive Handgun, Defensive Carbine and Shotgun classes, as well as Basic Firearms Training, can be done on a personal basis for individuals, businesses or small groups. Scheduling is very flexible.
Tip of the Month… Practice with your bedroom gun! I know many of you have a handgun in your bedroom. When was the last time you practiced with it? Does it have a light (or is a flashlight handy)? Have you checked lately too see if they still work? When things go bump in the night is not the time to discover that you have a dead battery.
Do some realistic drills at the range with your bedroom gun. Lay down like you are sleeping, with your handgun close to where you keep it at night. A ground cloth or blanket will do as ‘bed’ for this and you’ll find it more comfortable than laying on the cold hard ground. Place a target where your door would be. Practice grabbing your handgun and shooting the target while laying there in your ‘bed.’ Do this with and without whatever light you have. You’ll find it’s a lot different than the standing up and shooting that you normally do. Something you should think about doing occasionally.
In Closing… A final thought… A statement from an article by Tim Schmidt, of the USCCA…A few years back, Carrie Lightfoot, owner of The Well Armed Woman, said something that stuck with me and that I always end up thinking about this time of year: “It is a significant gift to arm the people you love with the tools and the training to protect themselves.” Come and see me with any training needs you might have, or would like to gift to someone. I’d be happy to work with you in 2019.