Interesting Thought… Since the shooting in the church in Texas several weeks ago there has been considerable discussion about the place of guns in church. Many people favor it (and a lot of my students admit that they carry in church) but some are still uneasy about the idea. Melody Lauer, a firearms instructor in the Midwest with a following on Facebook, has this to say regarding carrying guns in church…
I never really did understand the resistance some people felt about carrying a gun in church. If I can justify the legal and moral use of deadly force with my God and religion in my house, I don’t see why He would have a problem with it in His house.
An interesting thought.
Upcoming Classes and Events…
- February 10…Ready Citizen Challenge
- February 17 & 18…Concealed Carry Class in Alamogordo
- Renewal and Refresher classes…Take a moment and check the dates on your license…NOW! It’s amazing how many people are late for their Refresher or Renewal classes. I am doing these on request. If you need your Renewal or Refresher let me know and we’ll schedule your class. I have been doing these classes individually or in small groups for some time now and people seem to like this way of doing the classes.
Ready Citizen Challenge… Terry Nelson and Eve Flanigan will be in Alamogordo on February 10 to conduct their Ready Citizen Challenge. Using four different law enforcement qualifications, this is an interesting and exciting way to test your handgun shooting abilities compared to people who carry guns for a living. Cost of the Challenge is $110. A $60 deposit is required to register for the Challenge. Contact me at 575-430-3040 or Eve Flanigan at 575-642-4825 to sign up or for more information.
Interested in a Private Concealed Carry Class?… These are becoming very popular. Contact me if you are interested in a private concealed carry class for you and your family or a few friends or your business. Scheduling is very flexible and we can work out a time that is convenient for you.
Individual or Small Group Firearms Training… If you are interested in personalized firearms training tailored to your training needs or interests, or with a group of your friends, or for your business, contact me and I’d be happy to visit with you about meeting your training needs. Any of the classes we offer, from Individual Training Sessions, Concealed Carry, Defensive Handgun, Defensive Carbine and Shotgun classes, as well as Basic Firearms Training, can be done on a personal basis for individuals, businesses or small groups. Scheduling is very flexible.
Regular Monthly Announcements (Reminders)… I know you get tired of reading this but you do need to be reminded occasionally…
- To Learn Which Restaurants Sell Beer and Wine Only… You may carry your concealed handgun in a restaurant in New Mexico that is licensed to sell beer and wine only. This is known as a Restaurant License. Go to http://rldverification.rld.state.nm.us/Verification/Search.aspx?facility=Y and do a search. You can enter the name of the restaurant and see what kind of license they have, or you can get a list of all the restaurants with a restaurant license in that particular county. And remember… you cannot consume alcohol while you are carrying your concealed handgun.
- You need to take a Refresher (re-qualification) course two years after you receive your New Mexico concealed handgun license and you need to take a Renewal class and apply to NMDPS for your concealed carry license to be renewed after four years. Take a look at your license periodically and make sure you take those classes. If you are in need of either the Refresher or Renewal classes, contact me and we can schedule your class.
Local Gunsmith… If you are looking for a local gunsmith talk to Josh Prather of Prather Gunsmithing. He has worked on a couple of my guns and done an excellent job. You can contact him by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (575) 430-5820. Tell him I sent you.
Tip of the Month… If you are approached by someone in a parking lot (i.e.Walmart, etc) with a hard luck story wanting money, your best bet is to say something like ‘Sorry, I can’t help you’ while moving away and looking to see if they have a partner. Be aware that the approach of asking for help could be a way to distract you so you can be attacked/robbed/whatever by a partner. This isn’t always the case, but it certainly pays to be aware and be safe.
Which leads us to Tip #2…Carry your handgun on a routine, daily basis. You do not get to pick which day you will need your gun (do you really think you get to pick the day the situation mentioned above occurs???). Someone else makes that decision for you, and you will typically be informed at the very last minute!
Think about that last sentence for a moment and realize how true it is.
In Closing… As we begin the new year I’d like to say Thank You to Si Senors, Our Country Kitchen and Casa de Suenos for their support and encouragement this past year. They have allowed me to do academic sessions in their restaurants which is a lot more comfortable than doing academics at the range. And the feedback I get from you all who have had their academics in one or more of these restaurants has been very positive. I encourage you to support these fine restaurants.