Interesting Thought… This Interesting Thought is taken from an editorial recently published by Tim Schmidt, founder of the USCCA (United States Concealed Carry Association) and is used by permission. It is very appropriate for this time of year. Give it some serious thought…
The Gift of Preparedness This Christmas…
BY TIM SCHMIDT – USCCA FOUNDER
As the official countdown to Dec. 25 begins, it’s easy to get caught up in the magic of the season. There’s just something about the spirit of Christmas — the love, the kindness, the joy — that makes everything seem a little bit brighter and even a little bit safer.
But good, law-abiding people like you and me understand that evil never sleeps — not even on days leading up to the most wonderful time of year. And so, as much as many of us openly embrace and celebrate all the goodness that surrounds us at Christmastime, we must also acknowledge that the hustle and bustle of the season — when criminals are quite literally out in full force — requires us to be more vigilant than ever.
Indeed, even though it would be easy to become complacent over the holidays, that’s exactly why we mustn’t … because bad guys are actively looking for us to let down our guards.
With all the shopping, traveling and celebrating ahead, we simply cannot forget to pause and look at the world around us:
That means paying a little extra attention when we’re loading all those gifts into our trunks.
It means planning a little farther ahead when we leave our houses empty to go visit family for a few days.
And, most certainly, it means carrying our firearms to protect ourselves and our loved ones no matter where we are.
The bottom line is that criminals don’t take “holidays” off — and, as responsibly armed Americans, neither can we.
Thanks, Tim, for your timely words of wisdom.
Get Your Christmas Gift Certificates… Looking for a great Christmas gift? Gift certificates are available for any class that we offer, from the regular Concealed Carry class to Refreshers and Renewals, as well as specialty and individual classes.
Upcoming Classes and Events…
- January 6 & 7… Concealed Cary Class in Alamogordo
- February 10… Ready Citizen Challenge
- Renewal and Refresher classes… Check the dates on your license… NOW! It’s amazing how many people are late for their Refresher or Renewal classes. I am doing these on request. If you need your Renewal or Refresher let me know and we’ll schedule your class. I have been doing these classes individually or in small groups for some time now and people seem to like this way of doing the classes.
Ready Citizen Challenge… Terry Nelson and Eve Flanigan will be in Alamogordo to conduct their Ready Citizen Challenge on February 10. Using four different law enforcement qualifications, this is an interesting and exciting way to test your handgun shooting abilities compared to people who carry guns for a living. More information to follow.
Interested in a Private Concealed Carry Class?… These are becoming very popular. Contact me if you are interested in a private concealed carry class for you and your family or a few friends or your business. Scheduling is very flexible and we can work out a time that is convenient for you.
Individual or Small Group Firearms Training… If you are interested in personalized firearms training tailored to your training needs or interests, or with a group of your friends, or for your business, contact me and I’d be happy to visit with you about meeting your training needs. Any of the classes we offer, from Individual Training Sessions, Concealed Carry, Defensive Handgun, Defensive Carbine and Shotgun classes, as well as Basic Firearms Training, can be done on a personal basis for individuals, businesses or small groups. Scheduling is very flexible.
Regular Monthly Announcements (Reminders)… I know you get tired of reading this but you do need to be reminded occasionally…
- To Learn Which Restaurants Sell Beer and Wine Only… You may carry your concealed handgun in a restaurant in New Mexico that is licensed to sell beer and wine only. This is known as a Restaurant License. Go to http://rldverification.rld.state.nm.us/Verification/Search.aspx?facility=Y and do a search. You can enter the name of the restaurant and see what kind of license they have, or you can get a list of all the restaurants with a restaurant license in that particular county. And remember… you cannot consume alcohol while you are carrying your concealed handgun.
- You need to take a Refresher (re-qualification) course two years after you receive your New Mexico concealed handgun license and you need to take a Renewal class and apply to NMDPS for your concealed carry license to be renewed after four years. Take a look at your license periodically and make sure you take those classes. If you are in need of either the Refresher or Renewal classes, contact me and we can schedule your class.
Local Gunsmith… If you are looking for a local gunsmith talk to Josh Prather of Prather Gunsmithing. He has worked on a couple of my guns and done an excellent job. You can contact him by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (575) 430-5820. Tell him Richard Barbaras sent you.
Tip of the Month… Stay safe at Christmas. Reread the Interesting Thought and take it to heart. Be extra cautious and don’t become complacent about your safety as you go about celebrating the Christmas season and enjoying family and friends.
In Closing… I would like to wish each of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I look forward to training with you in the new year.