- Carry a high capacity weapon, ideally 8 rounds or above.
- Be able to access your gun with one hand.
- Keep your head on a swivel, checking your 6, the most dangerous area.
- Delay your draw.
- Obscure your draw.
- Do not engage immediately unless you must.
- Practice pivoting and engaging threats
- Practice gun grappling and one-handed engagement within 3 feet
- Shoot from cover if available
- Practice shooting and moving at man sized target at 3-5 yards
- Validate all live training with force on force training
Upcoming Classes and Events…
- November 4 & 5… November Concealed Carry Class…Sat from 8 am – 5 pm and Sun from 8 am – 2 pm.
- November 18…Night Class in Las Cruces…4 pm – approximately 9 pm.
- Renewal and Refresher classes…Check the dates on your license…NOW! It’s amazing how many people are late for their Refresher or Renewal classes. I am doing these on request. If you need your Renewal or Refresher let me know and we’ll schedule your class. I have been doing these classes individually or in small groups for some time now and people seem to like this way of doing the classes.
Night Class in Las Cruces… November 18…Come join us for this interesting and practical defensive night class. Many self-defense situations occur after dark and shooting at night is very different than in the daylight. Learn to shoot at night with and without a flashlight. And then we’ll have some realistic scenarios for you to test your skills. Contact me at (575) 430-3040, firstname.lastname@example.org or Coralie at (575) 644-1692, email@example.com to sign up.
Couples Retreat… We have decided to postpone our Couples Retreat scheduled for October 28. A lot of couples said they were very interested in attending but very few actually signed up. We felt that this would be a very valuable session for couples to learn to work together in self-defense situations and so did many of those we talked to about it. So I’m curious…why didn’t more couples sign up? If you were interested in the class I’d really appreciate it if you would take a moment and let me know why you decided not to attend. We are certainly willing to reschedule the Couples Retreat if there is sufficient interest.
Want a Private Concealed Carry Class?… These are becoming very popular. Contact me if you are interested in a private concealed carry class for you and your family or a few friends or your business. Scheduling is very flexible and we can work out a time that is convenient for you.
Individual or Small Group Firearms Training… If you are interested in personalized firearms training tailored to your training needs or interests, or with a group of your friends, or for your business, contact me and I’d be happy to visit with you about meeting your training needs. Any of the classes we offer, from Individual Training Sessions, Concealed Carry, Defensive Handgun, Defensive Carbine and Shotgun classes, as well as Basic Firearms Training, can be done on a personal basis for individuals, businesses or small groups. Scheduling is very flexible.
Regular Monthly Announcements (Reminders)… (I know you get tired of reading this but you do need to be reminded occasionally)
- You need to take a Refresher (re-qualification) course two years after you receive your New Mexico concealed handgun license and you need to take a Renewal class and apply to NMDPS for your concealed carry license to be renewed after four years. Take a look at your license periodically and make sure you take those classes. If you are in need of either the Refresher or Renewal classes, contact me and we can schedule your class.
- To Learn Which Restaurants Sell Beer and Wine Only… You may carry your concealed handgun in a restaurant in New Mexico that is licensed to sell beer and wine only. This is known as a Restaurant License. Go to http://rldverification.rld.state.nm.us/Verification/Search.aspx?facility=Y and do a search. You can enter the name of the restaurant and see what kind of license they have, or you can get a list of all the restaurants with a restaurant license in that particular county. And remember… you cannot consume alcohol while you are carrying your concealed handgun.
Local Gunsmith… If you are looking for a local gunsmith talk to Josh Prather of Prather Gunsmithing. He has worked on a couple of my guns and done an excellent job. You can contact him by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (575) 430-5820. Tell him I sent you.
Tip of the Month… Practice shooting with your weak hand. This is something everyone tries to avoid, but the truth is that you should be ambidextrous with your handgun (rifle as well). Use a tight grip, angle the handgun slightly, line the sights up and press the trigger. Nothing to it, just something you need to practice.
In Closing… Please take a moment and let me know your training needs and interest. I’d be happy to accommodate your needs if at all possible.