Interesting Thought… Due to the recent active shooter situations, this article by Chris Hernandez is timely and some serious food for thought. Should you engage an active shooter? He points out several things you need to think about now before you find yourself in that sort of situation.
Upcoming Classes and Events…
- September 7 & 8… Gun Show in Alamogordo. Stop by and say Hi…and we can take a look at your concealed carry license to see if you need your Refresher or Renewal class (you’d be surprised how many forget).
- October 5 & 6…Concealed Carry Class in Alamogordo
- October 26…Active Shooter Class at the Sydney Paul Gordon Shooting Range in La Luz. This class will explore options for armed individuals with concealed carry licenses in an active shooter event. We’ll be doing some realistic scenarios that you, as a concealed carrier, might experience during an active shooter event.
- Renewal and Refresher classes…Take a moment and check the dates on your license…NOW! It’s amazing how many people are late for their Refresher or Renewal classes. I am doing these on request. If you need your Renewal or Refresher let me know and we’ll schedule your class. I have been doing these classes individually or in small groups for some time now and people seem to like this way of doing the classes.
Active Shooter Class October… Shots Fired… Now, What Do You Do? This is a scenario-based class designed to prepare you as a concealed carrier for dealing with an active shooter…whether you decide to Run (escape), Hide or Fight. This class is not for beginners. Participants must have a concealed carry license or an equal level of training. Participants will be expected to do the scenarios with their everyday carry gear. For more information or to sign up for the class contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or Coralie at email@example.com .
Interested in a Private (or Discrete) Concealed Carry Class?… I have been doing quite a few of this type classes lately. Contact me if you are interested in a private concealed carry class for you and your family or a few friends or your business. Scheduling is very flexible and we can work out a time that is convenient for you.
Don’t Forget…Regular Monthly Reminders… (I know you get tired of reading this but you do need to be reminded occasionally)…
- Don’t forget your Refresher Class! You need to take a Refresher (re-qualification) course at the midpoint of your New Mexico concealed handgun license and you need to take a Renewal class and apply to NMDPS for your concealed carry license to be renewed after four years (5 years for those with a veteran’s license). Take a look at your license periodically and make sure you take those classes. If you are in need of either the Refresher or Renewal classes, contact me and we can schedule your class.
- To Learn Which Restaurants Sell Beer and Wine Only… You may carry your concealed handgun in a restaurant in New Mexico that is licensed to sell beer and wine only. This is known as a Restaurant License. Go to http://rldverification.rld.state.nm.us/Verification/Search.aspx?facility=Y and do a search. You can enter the name of the restaurant and see what kind of license they have, or you can get a list of all the restaurants with a restaurant license in that particular county. And remember… you cannot consume alcohol while you are carrying your concealed handgun.
Tip of the Month… Be careful about how you present yourself. This article, from A Girl With a Gun, has some food for thought about how you present yourself as a gun owner and a concealed carrier. She points out that if you are involved in a self-defense situation and are forced to shoot, everything you have ever done, including what you post on social media as well as any stickers on your vehicle, may come under legal scrutiny. Will that be to your benefit or detriment? Take a few minutes to read this article and give it some thought.
In Closing… Walmart has indicated that they will no longer be selling handgun ammunition. So, I encourage you all to purchase your ammunition locally from these supporters of Riclin Firearms Training… Ace Hardware in Alamogordo and Sandman Armory in Ruidoso.