Interesting Thought… This month’s thought is attributed to Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper, founder of Gunsite firearms training academy in Arizona…
If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.
There is a lot of truth in this statement and it is certainly something worth thinking about.
A YouTube Video Worth Watching… Somewhat along the lines of the Interesting Thought, here is a video worth watching in which a woman successfully defends herself from an attack, teaching her attacker a lesson…
Some interesting lessons…
- Consider how fast that occurred…no time to ask for help or for any help to arrive
- She didn’t seem to be aware of him until he got out of the car
- Very close range
- She kept backing up to get distance…there really wasn’t any other direction she could go in
- No time to use her sights
- That one shot, while it resolved the problem, did not completely disable the bad guy
- She was certainly more aware after she shot the guy…while she was getting into her pack to get her phone she was definitely looking around to see what else might be out there
What else did you see?
Upcoming Classes and Events…
- June 8 & 9…Gun Show in Alamogordo
- July 6 & 7…Concealed Carry Class in Alamogordo…if you already have your concealed carry license you might pass this on to someone who might be interested.
- Renewal and Refresher classes…Take a moment and check the dates on your license…NOW! It’s amazing how many people are late for their Refresher or Renewal classes. I am doing these on request. If you need your Renewal or Refresher let me know and we’ll schedule your class. I have been doing these classes individually or in small groups for some time now and people seem to like this way of doing the classes.
Interested in a Private (or Discrete) Concealed Carry Class?… I have been doing quite a few of this type classes lately. Contact me if you are interested in a private concealed carry class for you and your family or a few friends or your business. Scheduling is very flexible and we can work out a time that is convenient for you.
Don’t Forget… Regular Monthly Reminders… (I know you get tired of reading this but you do need to be reminded occasionally)…
- Don’t forget your Refresher Class! You need to take a Refresher (re-qualification) course at the mid point of your New Mexico concealed handgun license and you need to take a Renewal class and apply to NMDPS for your concealed carry license to be renewed after four years (5 years for those with a veteran’s license). Take a look at your license periodically and make sure you take those classes. If you are in need of either the Refresher or Renewal classes, contact me and we can schedule your class.
- To Learn Which Restaurants Sell Beer and Wine Only… You may carry your concealed handgun in a restaurant in New Mexico that is licensed to sell beer and wine only. This is known as a Restaurant License. Go to http://rldverification.rld.state.nm.us/Verification/Search.aspx?facility=Y and do a search. You can enter the name of the restaurant and see what kind of license they have, or you can get a list of all the restaurants with a restaurant license in that particular county. And remember… you cannot consume alcohol while you are carrying your concealed handgun.
Important Info for Travelers… I’ve just been advised that New Mexico and Louisiana no longer honor each other’s concealed carry licenses. So, if you are a New Mexico resident traveling to or through Louisiana your NM concealed handgun license will not be valid. For more information on the validity of your NM license go to http://handgunlaw.us.
Tip of the Month… How often do you practice drawing (or presenting) your concealed handgun? During your dry fire practice, practice drawing your concealed carry handgun (make sure it’s unloaded) from concealment. In a self-defense encounter, you will have very little time to respond, and the quicker you can draw your handgun the better. Note how fast the encounter occurred in the video above. Could you have drawn your handgun before the attacker was on you?
In Closing… Summer is upon us. Have fun, be safe, and get to the range!