I once worked with a fellow who had a zillion handguns and liked to vary by day which he carried. The problem, whenever he was excited, he couldn’t function.
Odds are, as you said in a previous newsletter, Someone else will pick [the day you need your gun] and they will only tell you at the last minute. Thus you are likely to be operating from habit/muscle memory … but for which gun? When the excrement hits the ventilator, you need to react without thinking. If you must discriminate between one firearm’s characteristics from another (safety? double action? single action? double-single? trigger weight? sighting variance?), you are needlessly handicapping yourself in a life-or-death situation.
Good food for thought, John. Thanks for sending this.
An Interesting Study on Handgun Effectiveness… This study by Gil Ellifritz has been around a while but it is interesting. Based on data collected from armed encounters, some of the results may surprise you. Worth taking a look at.
Upcoming Classes and Events…
- April 6 & 7…Gun Show in Alamogordo
- April 13 & 14…Concealed Carry Class in Alamogordo
- Renewal and Refresher classes…Take a moment and check the dates on your license…NOW! It’s amazing how many people are late for their Refresher or Renewal classes. I am doing these on request. If you need your Renewal or Refresher let me know and we’ll schedule your class. I have been doing these classes individually or in small groups for some time now and people seem to like this way of doing the classes.
Don’t Forget…Regular Monthly Reminders… (I know you get tired of reading this but you do need to be reminded occasionally)…
- Don’t forget your Refresher Class! You need to take a Refresher (re-qualification) course at the mid point of your New Mexico concealed handgun license and you need to take a Renewal class and apply to NMDPS for your concealed carry license to be renewed after four years (5 years for those with a veteran’s concealed handgun license). Take a look at your license periodically and make sure you take those classes. If you are in need of either the Refresher or Renewal classes, contact me and we can schedule your class.
- To Learn Which Restaurants Sell Beer and Wine Only… You may carry your concealed handgun in a restaurant in New Mexico that is licensed to sell beer and wine only. This is known as a Restaurant License. Go to http://rldverification.rld.state.nm.us/Verification/Search.aspx?facility=Y and do a search. You can enter the name of the restaurant and see what kind of license they have, or you can get a list of all the restaurants with a restaurant license in that particular county. And remember… you cannot consume alcohol while you are carrying your concealed handgun.
Tip of the Month… When you receive your original or renewed concealed carry license, get out your electronic calendar, move ahead 2 years (2.5 years for veteran’s licenses) and put a reminder to do your Refresher. It’s also not a bad idea to go forward to the expiration year and make a note to do your Renewal Class as well. The NM DPS Concealed Carry Unit has been mailing out notices to remind people to do their Refresher classes.
In Closing… Thank you all for your support of Riclin Firearms Training. When I retired from my ‘real job’ almost 9 years ago to pursue firearms training, I had no idea how busy I would be or how many interesting folks I would meet. I have greatly enjoyed it. And I’ve been able to do some unique training as well. Stay safe out there!